Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The ONE BEST thing your Yoga Teacher Can Give You

It’s time for another one of my “whenever” Yoga blogs… I’m getting ready to teach again in another couple of weeks. While I may not teach continuously, I certainly PRACTICE continually… And so, that’s what my blog is about!

A woman I used to work with told me she was sore from doing something (like moving furniture) and she thought that going to yoga class would be the best thing to do. I mean, Yoga is good for that, right? Well, RIGHT, but…

Your Yoga teacher does not know what is up with your body, and even if they do, they certainly can’t teach a perfect class with a dozen students doing just the right thing for all the students. Recently, injured myself from ripping out brush and bushes from my yard, so, when I started my yoga practice, I stood on my left foot and held my right heal in my right hand while pointing my right knee out beside me. I relaxed my leg and let my spine open up on the right. I knew it was the pose I needed to do because that’s what my body told me to do. Your best yoga instructor is YOU. Your body will tell you what it needs through the awareness that a multi-year practice will produce. If you want that awareness after one yoga class, or from your instructor in each class, you don’t get what yoga is… yet.

It IS your teacher’s responsibility to instill a continuing interest in Yoga into you, so that you can practice on your own in order to get the best benefits.

The woman I worked with complained that she had never been sorer in her life after that class. A cross-trainer would say, “Good”. Some of you yoga instructors would say that too. Not me.

Yoga is not about ripped abs, extreme endurance, big muscles or perfection. Yoga is learning about yourself, and finding your own path to being the best that you know you can be.

Because of that, yoga is kind to many different body types and shapes, despite almost never seeing such things in yoga advertisements.

If you are only practicing yoga right now in a class, start to do some yoga on your own. If you “hurt” somewhere, think about something GENTLE that you can do that might make it feel better. Use gravity and try to relax into your self-created pose. BREATHE into it…

So, in my class coming up, I’m going to concentrate on passing that desire to my students – to practice it daily and on one’s own. That way I can improve as a teacher…

Namaste! And see you in class!


Robert

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree as a yoga practioner myself - practicing up to 3 times a week in class and some outside a class as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree as a yoga practioner myself - practicing up to 3 times a week in class and some outside a class as needed.

    ReplyDelete